GARTEUR is organised at three main levels:
The highest level is the Council composed of representatives of each member country who constitute the national delegations. These representatives come from all relevant Ministries and Research Establishments. An Executive Committee (XC) and a GARTEUR Secretary assists the Council. This XC is composed of one member from each national delegation.
The second highest level is formed by the Groups of Responsables (GoR) that act as scientific management bodies. They also represent the think-tank of GARTEUR. The GoRs are composed of representatives from national research establishments, industry and academia. Currently, five GoRs manage GARTEUR research activities in the fields of Aerodynamics (AD), Aviation Security (AS, since March 2014), Flight Mechanics, Systems and Integration (FM), Helicopters (HC), and Structures and Materials (SM).
Action Groups (AGs) form the third level of GARTEUR. AGs are the technical expert bodies that formulate the GARTEUR research programme and execute the research work. Potential research areas and subjects are identified by the Groups of Responsables and investigated for collaboration feasibility by Exploratory Groups (EGs). If an Exploratory Group establishes an agreed proposal, an Action group is launched. A GARTEUR AG needs participation from at least three GARTEUR countries.
- GARTEUR is an independent organisation.
- GARTEUR has no permanent secretariat or headquarters.
- The coordination of GARTEUR and the information centre of GARTEUR reside with the Chairman of the Executive Committee and the GARTEUR Secretary.
- The seven GARTEUR nations take their turn in fulfilling the functions of the Chairmanship of the Council and its XC, and the Secretariat for periods of two consecutive years.
- The necessary resources are made available by the governments of the member countries or by the participating organisations on the basis of balanced contributions.
- The GARTEUR Secretariat can be contacted by email at email@example.com.
The organisation scheme with names included can be downloaded here (PDF)
Membership of GARTEUR Council and Secretariat can be downloaded here (PDF)
For the years 2016-2017 the UK holds the GARTEUR chairmanship, succeeding France.
Council chair: Mr. Louis Barson, BIS
XC chair: Mr. Malcolm Scott, ATI
GARTEUR Secretary: George Kwofie, ATI; email: firstname.lastname@example.org